Monday, March 8, 2010

Rumour Miller

My brother, still on holiday, asked whether he could speak to me. "Yeah... alright. What is it?"

"Have you seen Avatar yet?" he asked quietly.

"Yeah... ages ago." I answered. He looked at me carefully and quietly said "Okay" as though it was something he'd crossed off his list.

"Why James?" My curiosity piqued.

"I was just worried is all."

"Worried? About what?" I said sensing that this was going to get interesting.

"If you hadn't seen it, that you might get all fucked up about it." he replied. I said nothing and rubbed my eyes wondering where it was going.

"Loads of people in America have killed themselves, I mean, committed suicide over it because they realised..." at this point he paused becoming wistful of eye and decisive of tone, "... they realised that there will never a world as perfect as Pandora."

I laughed for a just a minute too long and asked him whether he really thought that the idea of Pandora had driven people to suicide. He replied in the affirmative.

"Cos of the, errrrm, glowing trees and stuff."

No comments:

Post a Comment